Monday, December 7, 2009

Time Out with Shonni Enelow



This past week we were lucky enough to have
Shonni Enelow, writer for The New York Times Style Magazine, drop by our school. Shonni, the daughter of our beloved English teacher, is currently pursuing a PhD at the University of Pennsylvania after spending her undergraduate years at NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts. She decided to stop by Rennes during her most recent trip to France, a country that she is no stranger to: she spent several months living in France during her high school and college years. She found some time out of her busy schedule to catch up with us, share her favorite fashion finds, and talk about how her experience in France has undeniably shaped her current style.


She can’t live without: A.P.C., Acne, Dries Van Noten, Vanessa Bruno, Whyred, and 3.1 Phillip Lim. For accessories and party clothes, she prefers vintage.

Self-described as: Jean Seberg meets punk minimalism.


Don’t write her off as a drama dork: “I was an undergraduate at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts, where I majored in Theater. I'm now getting a PhD at Penn in Comparative Literature.


Modest beginnings: “I always loved dress-up. High school was hard because I was this kind of arty punk in a sea of prep. When I got to Tisch, I felt like I'd arrived. I wore '60s minidresses and go-go boots to class. I was surrounded by artists, and we all sort of inspired each other, aesthetically. I've toned it down a lot since then, but I'm still inspired by the louche provocation of the nouvelle vague.”


All roads lead to Paris: "I spent three months in France as a high school freshman, another month as a sophomore. Then, between college and grad school, I went back and lived in Paris. I spend as much time there as possible. I love speaking French; I think that language has an enormous effect on how we think and behave. French dressing tends to be understated, which I love, and less conformist than American fashion (although New York is definitely an exception!). I also tend to associate French fashion with my very chic aunt Patsy, who lives in Paris. She is precise but she always knows when to stop. She's also the one who originally took me to cut my hair off, when I was 14; I've had it boy-short pretty much ever since."