Saturday, December 19, 2009

Time Out with Monsieur Bazin



Monsieur Bazin is the very definition of class. He’s going into his 25th year teaching French literature to us eager Americans and we thought it was about time that his impeccable style was recognized. His brown patent leather shoes, Ralph Lauren button downs, and tweed blazers are some of the staples in his closet. Mr. Bazin bikes to school every day showing up in consistently classic ensembles. Not only is he known for his innate savoir faire, he is known for breaking up discussions of Les Fables de la Fontaine with the occasional James Bond impersonation. Recently he took a break from French literature to talk fashion.

His favorite designers say it all: “I love Yves Saint Laurent and Christian Lacroix. I like wearing classic clothes, but at the same time, I prefer to see something adventurous on others.”

Early riser: “In general, when I wake up, I think about how happy I am to be awake. I love waking up early. I find that I am more efficient in the morning than in the evening.”

Lucky strike: “I didn’t originally want to become a teacher. When I was young, I wanted my job to involve telling a story of some sort: I bounced between wanting to be a comedian, a lawyer, and a priest. I sort of stumbled across the job by chance. was lucky in the sense that my job corresponded with something that I was passionate about and I continue to be passionate about.”

Inspirations: Baudelaire et Rimbaud

Flashback to the Sixties: “The sixties were full of life for me. I was young, and it was a period of extreme excitement and passion.”